I Must Have Killed a Dude

Karma?

As I stood in the shower with conditioner in my hair and soap lathered all over my body, the shower started to choke and then completely died. I tried to turn the shower off and then back on to no avail. I then stood there, with soap drying on my body and conditioner sitting in my hair, staring at the shower in disbelief. My first thought when I realized the water had been completely shut off was, "I must have killed a dude." That may seem like a random thought, but you have to understand my reasoning here. I have been a good person and lived a reasonably good life so far, so I figure I must have killed someone in another life in order to deserve all of these little things that keep screwing up. I mean, seriously, this is the type of thing that only happens in the movies right? Right. Unless your name is Brooke Jones.

Well, the only people I have met in my new apartment complex so far are guys and I didn't think it would help my reputation in the ward to show up sopping wet and ask if I could use their shower... So I ended up on my sister Kim's porch in Springville with dried soap on my body and 3 Minute Miracle Conditioner in my hair (which had actually been in my hair for 45 minutes at this point). Kim graciously let me use her shower and then I took off back to my apartment where the water turned back on 5 minutes later, just in time for my roommate to take a relaxing shower.

I realize I am sounding over dramatic about this whole situation, but I have a lot of little experiences like this that have built up into an angry wall that I am breaking down by complaining about them.

Two days ago my roommate/sister Taylor and I were unpacking at our new apartment. I was working on something at the other end of the room (which is about two feet wide) when I heard a crack. I looked over and Taylor was kneeling across my "bed" with a look of shock on her face. As she lifted herself up, she realized she was not actually kneeling on my bed, she was kneeling on my favorite picture. The decorative glass was broken out of the picture and it no longer held the same visual appeal. I was pretty upset about this, but I decided to make the best out of a bad situation. We took the picture out to the dumpster where I wrapped my hand in a blanket and punched the remaining glass out of the frame (I have always wanted to do that). Oddly enough, the hand that I did not use for the punching ended up getting sliced open by glass and bleeding...as did my foot. I guess I kind of brought that one on myself... However, it should be noted that this never would have happened if Taylor had not broken the glass in the first place.











A day before the glass incident, I graduated from UVU. This was an overall happy occasion that was marred by one stupid little incident. As I was waiting with the other graduates in the tunnel before walking out into the main area, I somehow managed to step on gum. Not just gum; the wrapper was also stuck to my shoe. Come on people! We are graduating from college and someone spit their gum on the ground!? Are you serious!? So as all of the graduates walked gracefully out of the tunnel, I hobbled along while scraping my foot on every spot of carpet I could find. Classy.

A few days before graduation my contract ended at my apartment and I was moving out. I woke up that morning to pouring rain, in direct contrast to the sunny days that had surrounded this one. All of my stuff was getting wet while I was moving it out, but I was managing. However, as I took my bedding out to my car, my pillow dropped. I had a tight grip on it, so I'm pretty convinced that some unholy force knocked it out of my arms. Not only did I drop the pillow on the ground, I heard a loud "SPLASH" as it hit. I had dropped my pillow into a puddle. I picked it up while inwardly cursing and continued to my car. As I attempted to open my trunk, I dropped my other pillow. With both pillows now thoroughly soaked and covered in dirt I repeated my new mantra "I must have killed a dude."

Again, I am completely aware that these are relatively tame incidents as far as these things go, but why so many? There are even more than this, but I am already feeling a bit like a whiner and I don't like to make my posts too long. Since I believe we are "punished for our own sins", these things must be on me...

My bad.

2 comments:

Kimberchap said...

at least you're smiling in the picture.... :)and I think we've all killed a dude once or twice!

bballisbob said...

I have killed, like a whole army of dudes...and they all deserved it. (evil laugh at this point).